Tuesday, October 29, 2013

How to be phony.

I usually call my friend, Gaya, at work as I can never get through to her handphone (mobile or cellphone for you Americans out there). Most of the time I am put on hold by one of her colleagues using their soothing customer friendly voices. Anyway, here's how our conversation went the other day.

Gaya's office: POP Cinemas, how may I help you?
Me: Hi, may I speak to Gaya please?
GO: Yes, Gaya here- 
Me: Dude, is that really you ah? Doesn't sound like you at all.
GO: This is my work voice lah, Let.

This made me realise the importance of how you carry yourself on the phone, especially if you're in the customer service line. When Gaya uses her work voice, her tone is much softer and inviting than her every-day voice, which is louder and more in-your-face. I just laughed for a few seconds. Anyway, you cannot some like a blabbering idiot when you are dealing with customers. Your tone, speed, and choice of words need to be appropriate to avoid whoever that is on the other line from hating you. 

In following my blog post procedure, I shall proceed with numbered tips on how to be a professional phone person. And they include:

  1. Answer the call quickly.
  2. Answering the phone ‘with a smile on your face’.
  3. Always mention your company name
  4. Check the information and Re-confirm any spellings that you are unsure of.
  5. Remain positive and professional.
  6. Give the caller an idea when they can expect a call back.
  7. Make sure you go back to update them every few seconds, if you put them on hold.
  8. Be aware your out of hours callers are just as important as those who call within office hours.

Thanks for reading, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment