Wednesday, October 2, 2013

For all you glossophobics out there.

Are you a glossophobic?

Because I am.

I am so afraid of...gloss.

That was a bad line, I should delete it.

Anyway, I shall move on with serious business now.

Glossophobia is actually the fear of public speaking, according to Wikipedia. I have no idea what it has to do with gloss.

I found this really useful article on tips tips on being a better public speaker, sans the shivering and the stammering and the urinating and the fainting.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susantardanico/2012/05/29/want-to-be-a-better-public-speaker-do-what-the-pros-do/

  1. Begin with the end in mind. 
  2. Simplify your messages.  
  3. Avoid the perils of Powerpoint. 
  4. Connect with your audience.  
  5. Tell personal stories. 
  6. Prepare and practice.  
  7. Watch yourself.  
  8. Avoid sameness.  
  9. Message your body.  
  10. Let your passion show. 
  11. De-risk the logistics.  

These are really no-nonsense, legitimate points. I honestly find that they will help me during my next class presentation, or anything that requires me to speak formally in front of a crowd. 

Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment